Subject: Difficulties with X11R6
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gransaulls <gransaul@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/1995 18:12:31
Fellow NetBSD users,

I downloaded a copy of X11R6 (March '95) and had the following experience:

a. first the installer would tell me that it was not a valid archive file,
even though my FTP client (Fetch) was set to binary. I have had this happen
before and still can't explain it.
b. anyway, I tested the file in NetBSD and it was OK. I was able to
successfully unzip and de-tar the file.
c. initially, I had put the whole X11R6 tree under /usr/bin since I have
seen in a more than two texts that this was where X stuff normally went.  I
changed the paths appropriately, but could not get the server to start.
Certain libX* files could not be found
d. I thought my error was in putting X11R6 where I did, so I moved
everything to /usr/X11R6 like the readme said to do. I set the path as in
the readme, but I did not get any further with startx; the same libX* files
could not be found.
e. the archive produced X11R6/bin , /lib, /man, /include and other
subdirectories below these in some cases; I'm not sure I if I should leave
these where they are or move them else where since I had significant
success when I copied the /X11R6/lib files to /usr/lib. Once I did this, I
did get the same messages indicating that the libX* files could not be
found, but instead I saw the server start and quit shortly thereafter for
unknown reasons.

Now I know may of you have X working. Could some one point out the steps
required to getting it working?

TIA,

Derek Gransaull
Foster City, CA