Subject: NetBSD/ Mac68K as gateway?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christopher Prosser <cprosse@elux3.cs.umass.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/16/1995 22:20:55
Hi all,
        I'm wondering about the feasability of this.  I'm hopefully coming
into possesion of a Mac IIx w 8MB ram.  I've had NetBSD running OK on it
before (except it would hang after sitting idle for a few days) so I know
it can do it.
        What I want to do is set up a little network in my house and use
the Mac as a gateway so the four of us can use the internet at the same
time.  I was hoping to set the NetBSD Mac up so it would dynamically dial
our provider only when there was a demand for a conection outside of the
house.  I've seen some recent posts about new serial driver code so I'm
wondering if a MacIIx could keep up with a 28.8 modem if the only task was
acting as a gateway.  Also would I need to have five different IP
addresses, one for each machine? Or could NetBSD do something funny so that
wouldn't matter.  I'm thinking that Slirp and TIA manage to have many
connections coming from one machine without having real IP addresses.  If
somebody already has done this, I'd love to hear from you.
        I figure what I need to do is use ifconfig to set up the device
that represents the serial port as the interface to the world and set up
the ethernet card (ae0) to have four static routes to my computers inhouse.
        Thanks a bunch, great work,
                -Chris