Subject: Serial console and boot echo on my powerbook
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Zachary E. Beese <zachb@iastate.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1995 22:28:04
I've been trying for some time to get NetBSD running on my powerbook
180.  I got a vt240 terminal hooked into the modem port with a null
modem cable.  But when I check the serial console and serial boot echo
boxes in the booter, It starts to boot and all stuff is displayed on my
external monitor, nothing goes to the terminal, and when it asks me to
enter path for a shell or return for sh, it won't accept any keystrokes
from my terminal.  It is as if nothing is connected to the modem port.

I have tried the GENERIC#43 kernel and some of Walter Ruetten's MRG kernels
also.  None seem to recognize my terminal and display anything on it at
boot time?  Is this due to the kernel or something else?

I have the terminal cofigured 9600/N/8/1 and it will work with zterm
when I pull it up to test the terminal.  So I don't think it is the
terminal that is causing it.

I also edited the /etc/ttys file as follows:

#
#       $NetBSD: ttys,v 1.11 1995/10/09 02:19:39 thorpej Exp $
#       from: @(#)ttys  5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89
#
# name  getty                           type    status          comments
#
# If the console is marked insecure, single-user requires
# the root password.
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure

# Define the console that we actually run getty on.
ttye0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   off secure

# Hardwired lines are marked off, by default, so getty(8)
# is quiet when they don't exist.
tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
[...] and so on...

I've tried booter1.8 and booter1.8c(walter)
Mac settings as follows:
Powerbook 180   68030/33mhz   8MB ram    80MB internal 160MB external HD
BSD on A/UX partition on the 160MB external
External monitor Applecolor RGB monitor 8bit video
Apple IIgs keyboard and mouse connected
Digital VT240 terminal connected to modem port 9600/N/8/1 VT100 mode
(I boot with extensions off (system 7.5.1) and have 32bit addressing)

Anyone have any ideas as to why this serial console thing isn't working
for me?

Thanks,

Zach Beese
zachb@iastate.edu

Zach Beese                      Operations Staff
1320 Gateway, Apt. #611         Durham Computation Center
Ames, IA  50014                 Iowa State University
email: zachb@iastate.edu        radio: KB0PIL
phone: (515) 296-2927 (home)