Subject: Booter 1.8
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <kevin@spef.syr.ge.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/1995 19:22:19
FWIW,
  I found a strange one that I haven't seen on this list.
I set up my disk as follows:
200M root
100M swap
100M usr
100M MacOS (Bootable)
.
.
.
My disk partioning utility felt it necessary to rearrange the partion map
as follows:
100M MacOS
100M swap
100M usr
200M root
.
.
.

It of course didn't actually relocate the partions just their order in the
map.

Problem:  I could not boot MacBSD.  (Error was netbsd not found.)
After playing with this for a little I found it would boot if I put
netbsd in the MacOS partion or the /usr partion.  The booter (1.8) needs
to look at the partion type to find root (root & usr) and not just take
the first unix partion.

Once I figured out what was happening I was able to work around it but,
I suspect it's a relativly easy fix for who ever took over the booter.(?)
IMHO, if the booter does go away it would be nice if this robustness were
part of what ever takes it's place.

I don't think either of the other "Mac Side Utilities" (MKFS, and Installer)
exhibited this minor problem.

Thanks
Kevin
kevin@spef.syr.ge.com