Subject: Where to start?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jan Koudelka <XKOUDEL1@hwlab.felk.cvut.cz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1995 15:37:28
HI!

I think many of you will say that this is a stupid question and I
should better read the Readme files. But, I am a total beginner to
Unix, and I was only gettin to chaos when reading all the
information.

When I have first read the Readme and INSTALL files, I tried to
download some binary files of NetBSD 1.0 to try to install this
system on my LC III. When I was installing the file system, I was
still telling me it will be finished this year. But, when I opened
the Booter and tried to boot, it was saying: "This system was not
tested on this machine, so it could crash down.". And, then it
crashed down. After I have been trying to boot the NetBSD for about
three hours, I deleted it to free a room for some applications, that
will sure run.

Today it is few days, I found a contact to this mailing list and
decided to try it again. But now I want to first ask for advice
before I will again fail bootting the NetBSD on my Mac. So I would
like to ask you these questions, and I will be very glad, if somebody
answers them:

1.  Is it possible to run any version of NetBSD on Mac LC III with
    8 MB RAM and internal SCSI disk Quantum 250 MB (or external
    ZipDrive)?
2.  I have no CPU. Do I need to buy it? I would like to keep my Mac
    on the lowest price.
3.  I have read the mail about boosting LC III to 33 MHz. It is nice
    to know my Mac can be faster, but it is a little dangerous.
    I have also read that the boosted LC III behaves as Perfora 450
    and the NetBSD runs on it. But, I will feel better, if it will
    run on the not boosted LC III. So, can I run the NetBSD on the
    original LC III?
4.  Is it possible to use color on the LC III running NetBSD?
5.  Is it possible to use Apple IIe as terminal, connected through
    RS 232 Super Serial Card II?
6.  If I can use NetBSD, where and what do I have to download?
    I live in Europe, so I would be happy for some near sites.

At the end, I would like to appologize for my English, I am better in
reading, than in writing.

                            Thank you for any answers.

                                                   Jan Koudelka

*         * * * * * * * *          *       xkoudel1@cs.felk.cvut.cz       *