Subject: Re: Serial Port Funkiness
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John D. Smerdon <jds@smerdon.livonia.mi.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1995 13:22:01
The -current serial port code is much improved over the old code.

Previously, I was able to ftp at 9600 from the modem port to the printer
port over PPP.  Anything higher would cause the ppp/serial driver to hang.

Now I can ftp at 19200 from port to port.  I received a couple fifo overrun
messages but ftp reported the transfer as 1922 bytes per second.  (I ftp'ed
the kernel to/from myself.)  During these tests I was compiling, had a
proxy server and inn news server running, and was swaping with only 8 MB of
memory.

At 38400, the transfer hanged after many fifo and ring overruns.

In real work, I previously was getting about 10% Ierrs as reported by
netstat for a ppp connection at 19200 with a 14.4 modem.  It is much lower
now, maybe only 1-2% percent input errors.

Many thanks to Bill Studenmund!

p.s.  I run my modem with data compression disabled.  It makes a big difference!

--
John D. Smerdon;  Livonia, Michigan, USA;  Contents are my opinion.
Home: jds@smerdon.livonia.mi.us