Subject: *NIX Appletalk client (was Re: Hmm. Stability problems.)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernard Gardner <B.Gardner@eng.usyd.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1995 16:58:51
On Oct 21,  9:46, Allen Briggs wrote:
> Subject: Re: Hmm.  Stability problems.

> There's hope, but not in the next release.  I haven't touched it
> for two weeks and the code is already frozen for the next
> release--that's too big of a change to go in, now.  I'm hoping for
> a miniroot installation from CD-ROM, ethernet, slip, ppp, tape, or
> MacOS hard drive.  Perhaps even AppleShare over EtherTalk (with
> the help of CAP--if it has an AppleTalk client package as well as
> server).

Cap does indeed have an AFP client. It's in the samples subdirectory, called
ash. It's probably a little verbose and interactive for this type of thing, and
it tries to handle the finderinfo and the resource fork (in the CAP style), but
I think it could easily serve as the basis for a command-line version that just
grabbed the data fork and spat it onto stdout.

I don't have heaps of time at the moment, but I could probably turn my hand to
a quick hack along these lines if it were deemed usefull, and I could enlist
someone to compile and link a Mac68k binary for distribution. (I'd be doing the
work on an Ultrix machine.)

Bernard.