Subject: Re: formatter (was LC475)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Eyles <steve@es.chem.umass.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/1995 14:52:06
On Thu, 19 Oct 1995 kevin@spef.syr.ge.com wrote:

> Disk set-up
> 2M MacOS for booting
> 2M root slice 0
> 4M swap slice 1
> 8M usr  slice 2
> 8M Free A/UX slice 3
> 8M Free A/UX slice 4
> 8M Free A/UX slice 5
> 8M Free A/UX slice 6
>
> Results:
> disklabel returned that there were _8_ partions (I realize it only looks
> for the first 8, but the map it returned had only 5 (4 not counting the
> whole disk) partions in it.)

I may be missing the point here.....and I'm really pissed off now 'cos I
had to sell my IIci when I moved to the US from England and the LC475
here apparently won't ever be able to run MacBSD ;-(

Don't you need to run newfs to label the other partitions and put a
filesystem on them?  I may of course be completely wrong but it seems to
me that the MacOS side formatters will correctly label the root/usr/swap
partitions, but if you leave a partition as A/UX free it doesn't label
it.  newfs puts the filesystem on.

Please ignore this if it's wrong.  I only ever managed to run BSD for
about a week before I came over to the States.  Will I ever be able to
play with it again I wonder??? *sulks*

Have fun!

	Steve

| ( () )       Dr Steve Eyles         |    21 Hallock Street, Apt 17     |
|  \ \/    Department of Chemistry    |     Amherst, MA 01002  USA       |
|  /\ \    UMass Amherst, MA 01003    |     Tel: +1 (413) 253 4843       |
| /_/\_\             USA              |  e-mail: steve@es.chem.umass.edu |