Subject: Re: LC 475
To: Charles J. Williams <chas@ohm.nrl.navy.mil>
From: J.C.Highfield <J.C.Highfield@lut.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/18/1995 22:55:43
> In message <9510181626.AA28700@hpd.lut.ac.uk>,"J.C.Highfield" writes:
> >I was referring to SCSI-driver-specific information, which often lives
> >just after parts of the published partition information. But this is
> >only relevant if you are writing MacOS drivers to the disk.
>
> Actually, if the scsi driver on the disk obeys the macintosh standard
> there should be a partition map describing the location of the driver.
> All blocks on the disks should be accounted for in the parition map.

The driver's "private" information lives in one (can't remember which off
hand) of the partition map blocks, after the standard partition map data.
My experience only applies to Apple's SCSI driver, I don't know what
other vendors do. I couldn't figure out why Apple did it that way since
most of the information was based on the partition map data, but their
driver certainly didn't work without it.

> Creating a mac parition is not magic, just create it and mark it as
> being a macos partition.

Yes, that is all there is to it. But ensuring there is a suitable MacOS
SCSI driver on the disk is probably a Good Idea (tm).

Julian