Subject: Re: LC 475
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1995 12:51:35
> > Point taken. I don't advocate piracy in general; Silverlining is a
> > special case because you *cannot* buy it.
>
> It's still illegal, and the FAQ should not make that recommendation.

So is copying APS's Alliance Power Tools 2.7.3:

> 	second:	Alliance Power Tools
> 		Free:
> 		ftp://jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/mac/APS273.sit.hqx
> 		ftp://dunkin.Princeton.EDU//pub/jagubox/mac/APS273.sit.hqx
> 		Notes:	This is good, for a free program. It's a bit
> 			pushy: it thinks it knows better than you what
> 			partitions you need. Don't let it fool you:
> 			all that eschatology crap is unnecessary.

This is *not* a free program.  I don't know why APS still allows it to
be on these anon-ftp sites, but that doesn't change the status.

I remember someone saying on the macbsd-general list (about a year
ago?)  that he asked APS about this and their responce was something
to the effect that they wouldn't care as long as the user was their
customer.  Well, I'm using it and I'm an owner of two APS' drives, but
I think it's still a grey zone at best.

ken