Subject: Re: New scsi driver & Fujitsu M2512 MO drive
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Hauke Fath <bg5@aixterm1.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/1995 23:33:57
>> cp'ing the files by hand did not change the situation; fsck said the MO is
>> ok. Looks like there is some strange thing going on when copying longer
>> files to the MO?? ( ls -l reports identical lengths for the files
>> concerned, btw).
>>
>> Anybody have any idea about what's going on here?
>
>No.  I've not seen this behavior, myself.  Shooting in the dark, though,
>I suggest trying an "#if 0" block around the if statement comprising
>lines 426-435 in mac68k5380.c.
>
>Please let me know if this helps.  I doubt it will because I suspect
>that the problem is in writing, not reading.  If this doesn't help,
>I'll try to devise some tests for you to run since I can't reproduce
>your problem here...
>
>-allen

Well, I've tried, and it did not exactly help...
The kernel dropped into single user because it could not start /bin/sh -
nor could I. csh came up, though; enough to do a reboot.

Having done some more experiments, I can say that only larger files are
affected (read: '> 20K'). They look as if the file system had mixed up some
block references: sometimes fragments of other source files are inserted,
sometimes simply junk, and I even saw emacs command names. This is so
strange to me I don't know where to look first...

When I wanted to sup last minute changes to the (kernel) sources I found
that NetBSD 1.1 is dawning: _all_ files on the mirror
(wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de) have been touched, and sup'ing the whole
distribution over a 14k4 ppp link is hard ;-)

Looking forward to your test cases...

        hauke

{
   hauke fath                     "It's never straight up and down"
   saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de                            (DEVO)
}