Subject: Booting Sept 95 Snapshot on IIsi
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gransaulls <gransaul@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/1995 22:42:59
Hello all,

I am a newbie as far as this mailing list is concerned because I've
recently (within the last month) stumbled onto the NetBSD effort. I've
installed the binaries from the Sept 95 snapshot (with GENERIC_42 kernel).
The July binaries did not boot beyond

"adb: ....."

but the Sept snapshot has gone past this and is hanging with a trap 2 as
follows:

changing root device to sd1a
PRAM: 0x308035bb, macos_boottime: 0x308035ac
Kernel Illegal Instruction trap
trap type 2, code=0, v=0

...register dumps...

panic: Illegal instruction
Stopped at ...

Then I believe I'm kicked out into the debugger. I don't know enough yet to
use the debugger to help myself to the fix, so I'm relying on those of you
who are further along to help me over this last (I hope) hump.

BTW, Allen (Briggs),

I downloaded the "for.noud.gz" (in binary mode) like you suggested, but the
installer gets an error trying to install it.  It claims it is an invalid
archive.

TIA,

Derek Gransaull
Foster City, CA