Subject: Re: Floppy Disks?
To: Victor Jimenez <vjimenez@awod.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/1995 23:55:21
> Can NetBSD (Mac Port) access floppy disk drives?

Nope.

> Is there a Introductions (or Tutorial) Manual for NetBSD?

Not really.  It would be a good project.  You might check FreeBSD to
see if someone's done something there.  I think I recall work on a good
general document for FreeBSD.  Many things will be similar or identical
on NetBSD.  Some things will be quite different.  There is also probably
some PC clone bias in the documentation, but since they plan to have
other ports, they are probably trying to avoid ix86-centrism.

> In vi editor, when I try to look at some text files (a README file) instead
> of seeing a easy to read text file, I see text with a bunch of "^M" in it.

That's quite likely the result of looking at a DOS or Mac file.
Unix systems generally use ASCII 10 (newline) to mark end of line
and DOS/Mac use the carriage-return/linefeed (ASCII 13, ASCII 10)
to mark it.  The ASCII 13 for carriage-return turns out to be
control-M, which displays as ^M.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **