Subject: Re: Bad-Diskblocks
To: Peter Kohler <kohler@ife.ee.ethz.ch>
From: Hauke Fath <bg5@aixterm1.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/1995 19:14:13
>Hi everybody!
>
>I recently moved MacBSD from an old 80MB disk to a 140MB partition on
>a 730MB Quantum Lightning. The Quantum however has problems with bad
>blocks. On the MacOS side, Norton Utilities take care of them, but is
>there a way to map them out under MacBSD?
>I've discovered the 'badsect' command, but this does not work as stated
>in the manual (mount the disk, change to its root, make "BAD" directory,
>then do <badsect BAD <badsector number>). It replies with "/dev/sd0a busy".
>This is also the case if I boot from the old disk and mount the new one
>to /mnt. Any hint how to get rid of the bad blocks?
>
>TIA
>
>                Peter

With a modern SCSI drive like the Q730 you should not need additional
utilities to map out bad sectors - the drive keeps some spare sectors per
track and remaps corrupted sectors transparently.

Most HD formatting utilities can do tests on the _entire_ harddisk, thus
covering MacOS and NetBSD partitions. When your formatter finds bad sectors
and maps them out. This is not a MacOS related operation; rather, it adds
the block number to the drive's bad sector table.

You may want to run fsck on the partitions concerned afterwards, and you
may want to do that from an AltRoot partition as long as it can't be done
from a RAM disk...

        hauke

{
   hauke fath                     "It's never straight up and down"
   saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de                            (DEVO)
}