Subject: Re: Remap Mouse-Buttons in X
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: ben <ben@eden.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/1995 08:01:57
Hello
Issues are raised in the text...(my .pinerc puts my .sig at the top)

-<  b e n    s y v e r s o n  >--------------I-n-f-o-
-<  b e n  @ e d e n . c o m  >----------S-p-a-c-e-:-
-<  http://www.eden.com/~ben  >---------A--B-r-a-i-n-
-<  60minutesOFntscFORrgbCRT  >----------S-c-r-e-a-m-

On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Allen Briggs wrote:

> > I use a Dvorak keyboard, and am in the process of getting NetBSD running.
> > In Linux switching keyboard maps it's as easy as a keyboard map *file*.
> > Wouldn't this be easy to implement? I would hate to have to recompile my
> > kern evry time I wish to switch between qwerty and dvorak :)
>
> You're welcome to work on this.  It shouldn't be too hard to implement a
> few ioctls to load key mappings.  I don't know exactly how useful this
> is, because most people will be using X or dt or screen and it's not
> hard to do the translation in those kinds of programs (xmodmap is your
> friend ;-).

So xmodmap works with X? That would solve the problem...also,

> > Also, Mkfs for mac kind of sucks. Isn't there any way it can guess more of
>
> I hope to not require the MacOS tools like these.  If we do, they should
> be updated, but so far, I don't recall anyone stepping up to work on
> improvements to them.

Well, I seem to recall that Norton Utilities gets most of the info, tho I
haven't tried it recently (I lost the disk :-o)....couldn't it be
disassembled and transplanted out? It seems like it could get a bunch of
info from MacOS...

> Try puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/NetBSD/X
>
> You might want to wait until 1.1 comes out, but you're welcome to grab
> it now...  ;-)  I recommend installing it from within NetBSD (not using
> the NetBSD/mac68k Install Utility).

Does the mac X11R6 actually allow you to view exported Xwindows over
SLIP? There's a linux box at my school I've got root on, and if I could
export programs that haven't been ported to my mac, I'd giddily jump
around the room... :)

I also want to ask you for some advice (you as in y'all, if you're frum
'round these hir perts) I've got an 80 meg partition with which to
install BSD. Is this too small to comfortably run X, g++, and a full
kernel? If not, I can clear about 60 megs on another drive -- could I use
that solely for storage? ie an apps drive and a dox drive?

Sorry I went on for so long... :) anybody?