Subject: Re: New scsi driver & Fujitsu M2512 MO drive
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Hauke Fath <bg5@aixterm1.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/1995 00:16:37
[mount_union]

>> Until now I've done all formatting with the MacOS mkfs. I'm going to try
>> newfs if there's a free MO left (the nice thing about MOs is that you can
>> have many of them ;-)
>
>You can update the filesystem by using 'fsck -c 2' (convert to level 2).

I've tried both:

newfs   -b 8192         \
        -f 1024         \
        -o time         \
        -s 446192       \
        -S 512          \
        -k 0            \
        -l 1            \
        -p 0            \
        -r 3600         \
        -t 64           \
        -u 32           \
        -x 0            \
        /dev/rsd2g      \
| tee newfs.log

on the MO (pretty quick!) and when that did not make a difference for
mount_union, fsck -c 2 /dev/rsd0g on my /usr partition. Still no way :-(

- I hope I never have to touch /usr with the Installer...
The MOs allow for another form of data transfer between MacOS and NetBSD as
long as you have a running NetBSD: SunTar 2.xx ("Speranza's untar") can
read and write .tar archives to raw SCSI devices. So next time when you are
about to cpin those 70 MB, think about it...

>I know too much about MOs...  I was a developer on a custom system that
>had scanners and a number of other "stations" configured with MO drives.
>Unfortunately, the reliability of MOs (at least 3-4 years ago) goes way
>down when you start moving disks between MO drives a lot and run the
>drives 12 hours/day or more...
>
>-allen

"It's a question of dust..."

        hauke

{
   hauke fath                     "It's never straight up and down"
   saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de                            (DEVO)
}