Subject: Clock slowdown
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Frederick Kaplan <sfkaplan@cs.utexas.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1995 10:34:34
First, I want to thank everyone for their replies in regard to my
Mosaic compilation problem.  I had totally forgotten that Mosaic uses
Motif (which my lame brain could have remembered if I just thought
about what the interface looks like--duh.)  I have since compiled
Chimera and that seems to work (although it's a bit slow, but what the
hey...)  I tried the Amiga version of Mosaic, and the 'a' problem,
plus other little interface difficulties I had, make it a little too
ugly to work with.  Hopefully someone can get a copy of the compiled
version from Japan which Ken Nakata mention.  (I tried myself, with
the same lack of luck.)

Here's a new one, and if it's a known problem I apologize--I did my
best to hunt through FAQ's and the web pages to see if I could find an
answer to this one.  My clock slows down.  To be more specfic:

Whenever I boot NetBSD, the time is correct.  The longer I leave the
machine up, the further the system clock drifts away from real time,
always in the direction of losing time.  Within a mere day, it will
have lost an hour.  But if I restart the machine, the clock is right
back on track according to both the Mac side and NetBSD side when I
first start up.

Strange problem, eh?  What is this?  Does it happen to others?  Is it
just my machine? (A IIci, 8 megs RAM/170 meg storage, cache card,
NuBus standard Apple video, tarballs from Steve Allen's site
[thanks!], Booter 1.8, kernel GENERIC #40 I think).  Any info on this
problem would be appreciated, and I'm happy to do some testing and
poking around to supply more information.

Thanks!

Scott Kaplan
sfkaplan@cs.utexas.edu