Subject: Re: death of a kernel...
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Erik Vogan <vogan@auriga.rose.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/1995 14:02:48
On Fri, 1 Sep 1995, Allen Briggs wrote:

> >    ***	Story 1) I rebooted the machine to BSD last night (using the
> > original 1.0B kernel), and was rewarded with a login prompt.
>
> So the system is panicing now on a kernel that was working fine?  Check
> your hardware configuration and run filesystem checks on all mountable
> filesystems.  This almost sounds like flaky memory, too.

	Sorry I forgot to mention this, but the system shows no symptoms
under MacOS.  Everything is just fine as long as I don't boot to BSD.  As
well, all the unix side filesystems check fine with fsck (yah, I know,
great reassurance that is).

> There isn't any reason that an old kernel should stop working just
> because you booted a newer one once or twice.

	I know, I know, I know.

							erik vogan

~ Of all the races in all of the Galaxy who could have come and said a big
hello to the planet Earth, he thought, didn't it just have to be the Vogons.
							- HHGttG