Subject: Re: Cross development on sparc?
To: None <kohler@ife.ee.ethz.ch>
From: Bob Deblier <bob@pimc.be>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/1995 13:23:23
Peter Kohler wrote:

> has any one succeeded in setting up a cross development platform for
> compiling kernels and applications for mac-bsd? I would like to
> compile on a sparc-station because of speed and disk-space reasons.
> I know that gcc can be installed as cross compiler. Are there configuration
> files for mac-bsd?

Sorry to disappoint you, I've tried it, and failed. I too have these wonderful
fast sparcstations, with an ISDN connection to the internet, huge disks, etc.

You see: cross-compilation isn't the problem. gcc 2.7.0 can indeed produce
relocatables for macbsd. But for building libraries and linking you need
tools like 'ar', 'ld', 'as', 'ranlib', 'strip' and 'nm'
These should come out of a package like the gnu binutils-2.5.2.
Unfortunately, the current release does not support macbsd. Therefore, you
can forget cross-compilation until somebody finds a way to get these tools
to work for macbsd.

I've posted questions on this subject on the development list before, but
got no useful reactions.

I hope that this message can still stir up some useful info.

Bob Deblier

Philips Interactive Media Centre	phone: +32 11 242167
Maastrichterstraat 63			fax  : +32 11 242168
B-3500 Hasselt, Belgium			email: bob@pimc.be