Subject: Re: Hello? Test...
To: None <port-m88k@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff McMahill <jmcm@FRC2.frc.ri.cmu.edu>
List: port-m88k
Date: 02/16/2001 18:06:04
nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp wrote

> I have one also and want to have NetBSD for it.  The fundamental issue
> for me is the lack of rock-solid foundation for develop environment,
> in specific, modern GNU toolchain for m88k.

About 3 years ago, I managed to compile a then-current gcc on
a Luna-88k running Mach 2.6.  If I remember correctly, the
compiler was fine, but the assembler and possibly ld did not
work, but I was able to use the ones that came with Mach without
problems.
This hacked setup worked well enough to compile a NetBSD 1.3ish
kernel with all the machine dependent bits filled in with either
Mach code or stub routines.  (Of course it crashed after printing
a few things when I booted it...)
I should still have those binaries if they would be useful to
anyone.  Or, I might be able to put one of my machines on the net
as a build machine if that would be useful.
Not exactly "rock-solid", but its a start, I guess...

> The good news is I have wrote some amount of m88k kernel codes
> _without_ m88k compiler.  m88k pmap.c seems completed (it was
> scratched from vaccum)

Excellent!  Thats about where I got stuck before.  I was trying
to use the Mach pmap.c, but it was very messy...

   -Jeff