Subject: RE: NetBSD suggested port
To: 'Tim Parkinson' <tim.parkinson@ccrlimited.co.uk>
From: Ian Wells <I.Wells@tarragon-et.co.uk>
List: port-m88k
Date: 02/15/2001 11:49:41
> {SNIP}
> >You will probably find that you have
> >an mc88100, but not an mc88200.  NetBSD currently requires >hardware
> >memory management support, which is on the mc88200...  :-(
>

> It's nice to see a little interest in this again.  I've just
> booted the box
> under my desk (hardware that used to run our 2D body
> scanner), and gotten:
>
> [SYMCAD.root /] uname -a
> Master_3_0 SYMCAD 4.0 R40v1.5 m88k mc88110
>
> I guess this is the same family as  88100, which probably
> means no NetBSD at
> all, right?

88110s were the next generation after 88100s, ran to 40MHz and did
superscalar processing.  The chip you'd expect to find with them on the main
board is an 88400 (cache controller); the MMUs (2 of them, instruction and
data) are onboard, I believe, making it fine for memory-managed Unixes such
as NetBSD.  I have DGUX running on mine at home (or I would, if it was in
one piece).

What OS is that box running?  I don't recognise it...

--
Ian.