Subject: Re: www/firefox on NetBSD/m68k ?
To: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-m68k
Date: 08/08/2006 12:09:48
>>  I think they're fixed now, and I'm rebuilding NetBSD 3 from scratch (there
>> are a LOT of emulated instructions being processed on the m68060s, which
>> slows things down dramatically),
>
> How big a penalty are the emulated instructions on the 68060 in practice?
> I've been thinking of digging out my mvme177s.

Pretty darn big. It causes an exception and all of the overhead associated
with exception handling PER INSTRUCTION. I think that's why -current is
painfully slow on the m68060s, although I didn't have enough patience to
wait for a full boot to see if that was really it.

On the other hand, after recompiling the whole OS with -m68060, the
performance should be as good as, or better, than with older NetBSD, and
MUCH better than the daily NetBSD 3 binaries.

An mvme177 should be pretty quick with NetBSD...

John Klos
--
Today is the day that my destiny calls me!
   Meowth