Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on m68k
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-m68k
Date: 01/11/2003 06:45:50
On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, John Klos wrote:

> When we update code to use the new assembler syntax, such as the m68k code
> snippet in postgresql-client, what do we do about the old syntax? #ifdefs?

Are you talking about for pkgsrc?

I feel it doesn't make any sense to keep the old syntax, as I believe
the egcs shipped with NetBSD 1.5 easily accepts both, while much older
compilers and systems, while probably in use somewhere, should have no
delusions of being well supported. From the point of view of the
project, if the project actively supported Amiga OS or Mac OS/m68k,
that would be another thing, but I doubt that's the case -- certainly
not for pkgsrc.

I committed patches last April to mysql-server to unconditionally
change to the new syntax, and nobody complained, but I never submitted
them to the project.

Frederick