Subject: SCSIRead() #5 error
To: None <port-m68k@netbsd.org>
From: Sebastian Finbar J Brady <sbrady@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: port-m68k
Date: 08/19/2002 09:25:47
Hi,

I'm trying to install NetBSD onto a Quadra 700 with a 2.1G hard drive.
I'm getting the SCSCRead() #5 error. It happens on every set except
kern.tgz. I tried to follow the advice in the FAQ but can't get beyond
at certain point. I installed as much of each set as the Installer
would allow. I then tried to do Build Devices in the Intaller, but this
failed with the same SCSIRead() error. The machine will boot into
NetBSD, but I cannot do fsck or mount. The error message says that there
is no /etc/fstab file or directory. I have copied all the sets across
and was hoping to simple untar them.

... actually, I just tried tried using mount giving both the device
and mount point, and it seemed to work... Maybe I'm getting somewhere.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask was, would some of this trouble be avoided if
I had created several smaller partitions? If so, what is the largest size
advisable. The FAQ mentions around 1G. However, it also seems to imply
that the problem is related to the size of the whole disk not just
the partitions. Which is it?

... well, the sets are untarring, so hopefully I have a working system
soon...

If this all works, I wouldn't mind writing up a more detailed description
of the problem and some solutions. I had previously install onto a 200MB
disk, but this was too small. I had great trouble finding SCSI hard drives
of between 500MB and 2G. I was rapt when I finally got my hands on one.
Little did I know what lay before me. If this happens with every drive
over 1G (?), would it be worthwhile putting something in the Installation
guide to this effect?

--
Sebastian