Subject: Re: SCSIRead() #5 error
To: Sebastian Finbar J Brady <sbrady@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-m68k
Date: 08/18/2002 19:53:36
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Sebastian Finbar J Brady wrote:

> I'm trying to install NetBSD onto a Quadra 700 with a 2.1G hard drive.

NetBSD 1.5.3... or what?

> I'm getting the SCSCRead() #5 error. It happens on every set except
> kern.tgz. I tried to follow the advice in the FAQ but can't get beyond
> at certain point. I installed as much of each set as the Installer
> would allow. I then tried to do Build Devices in the Intaller, but this
> failed with the same SCSIRead() error. The machine will boot into
> NetBSD, but I cannot do fsck or mount. The error message says that there
> is no /etc/fstab file or directory. I have copied all the sets across
> and was hoping to simple untar them.

Check out the recommended installation method for 1.6 (currently at
1.6_RC1). E.g:

 ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/200208170000/mac68k/INSTALL.html

For better or worse (well, hopefully for better) it's completely
different, and completely avoids the Mac OS Installer and its
intractable problems.

Since you've already copied the sets in with the Installer, though,
you could use the sysinstall kernel to boot into the ramdisk-based
system, exit sysinstall from the menu, and untar the sets and build
the devices from within NetBSD! If that's all you're going to use the
installation kernel for, there's no need for it match the version of
the sets you have, and in fact, it's best to avoid the 1.5.3
installation kernel. (It was buggy.)

Frederick