Subject: Some questions on building libc
To: port-m68k <port-m68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce O'Neel <beoneel@bluewin.ch>
List: port-m68k
Date: 03/12/2002 15:56:54
Hi,

I'm still trying to get a libc built with softfloat built in so that,
maybe, a LC040 will quit crashing so often.  I'm gettin close, but not
there yet.  I do have two questions that show my lack of BSD knowledge
though:

- How important is lorder in building an archive?  Why, one wonders,
do I ask?  nm is one of many programs which does not run very well,
and rather than running basically

ar cr library.a `lorder ${OBJS} | tsort`

I'd really like to run

ar cr libc_pic.a *.so

Does something bad happen if I do this?  The man page implies that
things are less efficient which I can live with.  nm looks to be a
pain to get to build with my stripped down softfpu library given that
I'd have to build libbfd as well, right.  So I'd like not to try to
build it just to build libc if I can get away with it.

- Where in the world does _exit live.  I can build a .so file but
__exit is undefined.  A find/grep combo on the .c, .h, .s and .S files
doesn't find it except in ./LintSysPseudoNoerr.c which does not seem
to be compiled.  I'm obviously misunderstanding something here.

Thanks very much for any help here!

cheers

bruce

--
Of course it runs NetBSD

Bruce O'Neel                       phone:  +41 22 950 91 57
INTEGRAL Science Data Centre               +41 22 950 91 00 (switchb.)
Chemin d'Ecogia 16                 fax:    +41 22 950 91 35
CH-1290 VERSOIX                    e-mail: Bruce.Oneel@obs.unige.ch
Switzerland                        WWW:    http://isdc.unige.ch/