Subject: Re: panic: enter: out of address space
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: Steve Peurifoy <swp@alumni.rice.edu>
List: port-m68k
Date: 03/28/2000 10:41:28

> During the configure stage of compiling the 1.4.2 package of devel/ffcall,
> it crashes immediately after:
>
> checking for mmap declaration...
>          extern void* mmap (void*, size_t, int, int, int, off_t);

OK, so I went rummaging in the autoconf stuff packaged with ffcall and
pieced together the little mmap() test program it runs immediately after
checking the declaration.  This program instantly crashes a 380 running
1.4V.  Thanks for the clue Michael.

Looking at what this test does, I suspect it is tripping over the
known 68040 limitations of the hp300 pmap.  It doesn't map very much
memory but it maps chunks scattered across the address space in a way
that chews up a bunch of level 2 descriptor pages.  I'll submit a PR
with this info.  I'm also going to see if I can figure out how it might
be fixed but I don't know how far I'll get.

-Steve