Subject: Re: clustering systems for faster m68k builds
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
List: port-m68k
Date: 01/04/1999 19:12:34
> > I was wondering if anyone here has been using multiple systems to
> > build NetBSD in parallel, and thus cut down on build times?
>
> There's the beginning of support in make for executing jobs remotely;
> have a look at the stuff near `#ifdef REMOTE' in jobs.c. It would
> probably be a fair amount of work to make this really happen,
> though.

	DANGER WILL Robinson DANGER!

	I worked for a company back in '94, specifically Aggregate Computing,
	that had patents related to this sort of thing, specifically for
	the "NetMake" product and a generic cluster toolkit "NetSHARE"(?).

	Aggregate went to the great bitbucket in the sky in '96 I believe
	but someone did buy the patent portfolio...

	So, watch out for submarine attacks when doing this work, especially
	as it relates to network/cluster distributed makes.

		-Rob
p.s.
	NetMake(tm) on the SPARCs, gutless SLC's, SIGNIFICANTLY sped up builds
	of large packages so the concept has ALOT of merit!