Subject: Re: Emulation of m68k SysV binaries?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@melog.de>
List: port-m68k
Date: 11/25/1997 17:33:06
At 09:56 25.11.97 -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Hauke Fath wrote:
>
>: Would the SysV emulation in the kernel be of any use?
>
>The SVR4 that is available should work, with a couple minor nits.  Not all
>ports directly have SVR4 support (I've had this on my "fun projects" list
>for the purpose of getting Amix--Amiga SVR4--libraries to work).

Apparently the machine has seen an OS update (was installed?) in 1988 so
I'd suspect it has at most System VR3.2. Might be an NCR Tower 32/400, the
housing has a model number (#34700202) but no other label. The box is still
fully operative and in use by the customer, so I cannot simply take it home
and rip it apart.  ;)

I've emailed NCR for further information and hope they do answer. They
still have OS patches on their web site, not too bad for an eleven year old
architecture. But then, you can still get MacOS 1.0 from Apple.

>You'll need machdep.c/trap.c stuff to grab SVR4.  One of the m68k ports has
>this working (hp300?) but which one escapes me.  Once that support is copied
>to the port you want to use, and the appropriate file lines in files.${ARCH}
>for compat_svr4 is added, you should just be able to turn on COMPAT_SVR4 and
>EXEC_ELF32 and away you go.

The target in question is mac68k, and I'm pretty sure we do not do SysV
emulation, yet.

>I'll be happy to continue this discussion and offer patches to try for
>whichever port you want to try this out on.

Great!

	hauke

--
Hauke Fath                              Melog Software GmbH
                                        D-69115 Heidelberg