Subject: Re: Emulation of m68k SysV binaries?
To: Hauke Fath <hf@melog.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-m68k
Date: 11/25/1997 09:56:48
On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Hauke Fath wrote:

: Anyhow - afaik there is no NetBSD port to the machine ;) so what would be
: necessary to run the binaties on a NetBSD/m68k system?
:
: The binaries appear to be statically linked, so all that is needed is a
: system call emulation library, right?
:
: Would the SysV emulation in the kernel be of any use?

The SVR4 that is available should work, with a couple minor nits.  Not all
ports directly have SVR4 support (I've had this on my "fun projects" list
for the purpose of getting Amix--Amiga SVR4--libraries to work).

You'll need machdep.c/trap.c stuff to grab SVR4.  One of the m68k ports has
this working (hp300?) but which one escapes me.  Once that support is copied
to the port you want to use, and the appropriate file lines in files.${ARCH}
for compat_svr4 is added, you should just be able to turn on COMPAT_SVR4 and
EXEC_ELF32 and away you go.

I'll be happy to continue this discussion and offer patches to try for
whichever port you want to try this out on.

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== Vierling's Axiom: The revolution won't be televised; it will be posted.