Subject: Re: Howdy Is any one here? Some advice please.
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-m68k
Date: 10/05/1997 17:39:04
On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> > In the Linux community, there is a book called "The Linux Kernel
> > Internels" or something like that. is there a similar document for
> > the *BSD community?
>
> Yes, there is; _The Design and Implementation of The 4.4 BSD Operating
> System_ by McKusick, et. al., Addison-Wesley, 1996.  AKA The Red
> Daemon Book.

That book doesn't go into code-level detail the same way that _Linux
Kernel Internals_ does. However, you really need to learn to read
code anyway if you're going to get anywhere as a kernel hacker. :-)

I can't strees the importance of this enough: get into the code,
read, read, and read more.

The 4.4BSD book mentioned above is probably the first one I'd buy.
Next, if I had any interest in the networking code would be Wright
and Stevens' _TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2_, which basically goes
through the entire BSD TCP/IP stack line by line.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates