Subject: Re: 68060 support in kernel
To: None <port-m68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Widenfalk <t94dwi@student.tdb.uu.se>
List: port-m68k
Date: 06/17/1995 21:14:26
Hi,

> why not simply, at least for the start, replace the pointers to the 040
> fpsp's support with the pointers to the 060fpsp at startup time (and
> flush the caches after that :-) ?
>
> Benefit: we could use the hex dump format of the fpsp, which is the only
> supported (by Motorola) one, and replace it with newer releases without
> much trouble. Of course, it'll eat up 56k instead of maybe half of it or
> s.th.

This would be the simplest aproach. My only problem is that I can't test
it. (no 060 :-() This implementation could be done fairly quickly, say 2
to 3 days, including the 060isp.

> I'll try to start that way, at least for the beginning (For the very
> beginning I'll just put appropriate #if and #err's into locore.s to
> forbid assembling mixed kernels :-). The merged fpsp might be replaced
> later, when you succeed with your project.

Do so and keep me posted on your progress. I'll direct my efforts to
merging the fpsps into one. If someone else have the time they could start
working on the isp part.

> BTW, there is a 3rd person interested in 060 support... he is working on
> porting netbsd to a VMEbus 68040 machine, and wants to insert 060
> support later.

Who is he/she?

/Daniel Widenfalk
t94dwi@student.tdb.uu.se