Subject: Re: 68060 support in kernel
To: None <t94dwi@student.tdb.uu.se>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: port-m68k
Date: 06/14/1995 23:38:01
Hi Daniel,

why not simply, at least for the start, replace the pointers to the 040
fpsp's support with the pointers to the 060fpsp at startup time (and
flush the caches after that :-) ?

Benefit: we could use the hex dump format of the fpsp, which is the only
supported (by Motorola) one, and replace it with newer releases without
much trouble. Of course, it'll eat up 56k instead of maybe half of it or
s.th.

I'll try to start that way, at least for the beginning (For the very
beginning I'll just put appropriate #if and #err's into locore.s to
forbid assembling mixed kernels :-). The merged fpsp might be replaced
later, when you succeed with your project.

BTW, there is a 3rd person interested in 060 support... he is working on
porting netbsd to a VMEbus 68040 machine, and wants to insert 060
support later.

Regards,
	Ignatios