Subject: Re: Call for testers: ACPI suspend/resume, part 2
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org, port-i386@NetBSD.org,>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/19/2007 23:14:30
On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 11:01:52PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> joerg@britannica.bec.de said:
> > The way it is you get the kernel output as 0 is supposed to be the
> > console.
>
> That's a decision I'd leave to the user. If he wants to see it, and
> the X server isn't running on the first screen, he is free to
> add the switch command  to the suspend script. Could even be in the
> default installation because it makes sense for common users.
> Other users or developers might have their systems set up in other ways
> (serial console, whatever), where hardwiring that stuff isn't helpful.

A serial console is not affected by wsdisplay. You can't suspend with
the X server potentially still accessing the hardware. Moving somewhere
where the user can actually see error messages is a good thing. The
system will automatically move back to where it was before. That's
already stupid with DDB.

Joerg