Subject: Re: scanner-user-permissions
To: Wolfgang Steuerle <netbsd@steuerle.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2007 08:39:37
Wolfgang Steuerle <netbsd@steuerle.net> writes:
> I got my mustek 1200 cu plus (usb)-Scanner to run as root. Now of course
> I would  like to use it as a common user. Here is what scanimage -L says:
>
> device `mustek_usb:libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0' is a Mustek 1200 CU Plus flatbed scanner
>

> NetBSD 3.1
> sane-backends-1.0.18
> What do I have to do to run it as normal user ?

Presumably, you need /dev/[something] to be readable (and possibly
writable) by your normal UID. Presumably it is /dev/usb0 or
/dev/ugen0 or some such, but that's not clear given the information
you've supplied. It should be easy enough for you to figure it out,
though. To do this "right" I'd ktrace the process, but even just
chmod'ing one device and then the other should probably yield some
results.

Perry