Subject: Re: *_TINY kernels
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Adam Hoka <adam.hoka@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/16/2007 12:11:20
Hello!

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> Having TINY in arch/i386/config is easy; I see no reason to make it go
> away.  The first boot is a more interesting question, but isn't it
> possible to insert new media from which you could copy such a kernel?
> The INSTALL kernel and userland are running entirely from RAM, I
> believe, and don't need the boot medium.

I think if you install NetBSD on a vintage/exotic hardware you will most
possibly end up using custom kernel/install media (most of the old hw dont
even have cdrom drive, so you will install from ftp/http or even
netboot/nfs).
So you can just make an own kernel by modifying one of the conf/* files,
(cross)compiling and boot/install that. And yes, the _TINY configs should
be kept, but there is no real need of the binaries.

--
Adam Hoka