Subject: Re: *_TINY kernels
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: David Lord <netbsd@lordynet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/14/2007 11:50:20
On 14 Nov 2007, at 3:04, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:30:37 +0900
> Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp> wrote:
>

> > Sorry, maybe we're talking about different things.  I need a TINY
> > install floppy image, and then a TINY kernel for the first boot.
> > Finally it is very helpful and time-saving to edit a GENERIC_TINY
> > configuration file, as opposed to editing a GENERIC file, to get
> > ready to build a custom kernel.
>
> Having TINY in arch/i386/config is easy; I see no reason to make it go
> away.  The first boot is a more interesting question, but isn't it
> possible to insert new media from which you could copy such a kernel?
> The INSTALL kernel and userland are running entirely from RAM, I
> believe, and don't need the boot medium.

I've installed from 1.2 MB floppy to a system with neither cdrom nor
lan connection (needed custom options) and had all sets and other
required files on a dos partition.

I can't remember if serial dialup connection works on NetBSD from
floppy boot but I have used that method several times on either
FreeBSD or NetBSD to get a minimal system installed (it was not at
all as painful as I'd expected).

It still require a tiny kernel to be available to make further
progress with installed system unless there is access to another
system capable of compiling a custom kernel.

David