Subject: Re: *_TINY kernels
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/14/2007 11:30:37
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 03:50:43PM +0000, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 04:16:49PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 03:42:33PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > > is there a real use base for GENERIC_TINY and INSTALL_TINY left? I mean
> >
> > Yes.  I still use 8-12MB memory laptaps as serial consoles, some of
> > which need GENERIC_TINY.
>
> ...and you don't use a custom kernel for that?

Sorry, maybe we're talking about different things.  I need a TINY
install floppy image, and then a TINY kernel for the first boot.
Finally it is very helpful and time-saving to edit a GENERIC_TINY
configuration file, as opposed to editing a GENERIC file, to get
ready to build a custom kernel.

But in a couple of more years I imagine I won't be using TINY as
other than a curiosity since people are throwing away perfectly good
Windows98-class notebooks these days.  (I cannot say anything about
other parts of the world.)

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/