Subject: Re: *_TINY kernels
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: David Lord <netbsd@lordynet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/12/2007 12:02:37
On 11 Nov 2007, at 15:42, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> Hi all,
> is there a real use base for GENERIC_TINY and INSTALL_TINY left? I mean
> who would want to use a non-custom kernel on a memory restrainted
> machine? I wouldn't even use a normal GENERIC kernel with 64MB...

My introduction to NetBSD with 1.5x install to a 486/8MB ram required
TINY and 1.2 MB floppies. I still had to create a custom kernel but
at least I then had a bootable NetBSD system in order to compile an
even smaller kernels but also with some additions and couple of these
were used as firewalls for maybe 3 yrs with uptimes between upgrades
of 190+ days.

More recently, this year, install to Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop seemed
to proceed ok but with either generic or laptop kernels hung either
during boot or at login prompt. Same with installs to Asus P4R800-V
and P4S800-D that need certain options from generic disabling to be
usable. There was no TINY to try and how do you work out which
options to disable (actually easy for P4R800V as bootup error
indicated problem from auixp)?

David