Subject: Re: *_TINY kernels
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/12/2007 14:57:33
On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 03:42:33PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> is there a real use base for GENERIC_TINY and INSTALL_TINY left? I mean
> who would want to use a non-custom kernel on a memory restrainted
> machine? I wouldn't even use a normal GENERIC kernel with 64MB...

Having thought about it for a while I don't see much reason to provide them
because they aren't much use as as. They cater for a miniscule subset of the
older machines out there. I would be happy with removing them if we provide
instructions on how to build a set of custom boot floppies.

> On a related note, is there any reason to keep pccons and not just drop
> it in favour of wscons?

No, it's well past it's use-by date and should be removed.

Thanks,
Andrew