Subject: Re: apic timing/clock problem in 4.0_RC3, MacBook 2x2.0
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/10/2007 19:53:15
Hi,

On 11/10/07, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 03:17:36PM +0000, Marco Trillo wrote:
> >
> > OK, the following patch uses the SMBIOS product identification to
> > disable the 'legacy USB SMI' bit only when a MacBook is found.
>
> You probably want to do it any time vendor is Apple.

Hmm... maybe; but I found the following dmesg from a Mac Mini:
<http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2006/10/27/0013.html>

and it doesn't appear to have the problem (apic clock is correctly
detected to run at 166 MHz, CPU frequencies are fine, etc.).

OTOH since all of these Macs use ICH7, it should no no harm to disable this bit.

So this may be indeed the best solution.

     -Marco