Subject: Dropping GENERIC_LAPTOP
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/31/2007 22:18:15
Hi all,
I've just added the last two important options to GENERIC.NOACPI that
made GENERIC_LAPTOP useful. Current offers two baasic kernels now with
almost identical driver and option set:
- GENERIC with ACPI
- GENERIC.NOACPI with APM and PCIBIOS fixup

Both include PCMCIA and Cardbus support and all drivers GENERIC_LAPTOP
had before. I think it is time to get rid of GENERIC_LAPTOP. One reason
is that it reduces the maintaince cost as it doesn't inherit from
GENERIC like .NOAPIC or .MP do.

If you have hardware that currently runs only with GENERIC_LAPTOP and
not with GENERIC, please try GENERIC.NOACPI and report any such issues.

Pending date for removal of GENERIC_LAPTOP is November 14th.

Joerg