Subject: Re: X on Asus M6000
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Piotr Adamus <piotrek@piotrek.homeunix.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2007 21:06:29
Ray Phillips <r.phillips <at> uq.edu.au> writes:

> Thanks for replying Brian.
>
> >Since running X without an XF86Config file is working, try the
> >following command to generate your XF86Config:
> >
> >     # X -configure
> >
> >This probes and generates a corresponding XF86Config file.  You
> >need to run this as root.  The XF86Config is generated in your
> >current directory, IIRC.
>
> 'X -configure' created the file /root/XF86Config.new.  When I moved
> it to /etc/X11/XF86Config and executed startx the result was a
> totally black screen.
>
> I noticed 'X -configure' had selected the i810 driver and thought I'd
> try using the vesa one instead (something I should have done
> yesterday) and it worked.  I made that change to my previous
> XF86Config and put "1280x800" as the first resolution on the
> 'Subsection "Display"'s Modes line, which produced a resolution close
> to what I wanted. :)  kde's desktop configuration dialog box says
> it's 1024x768 and doesn't give 1280x800 as an option for some reason.
>
> I'd assumed a generic driver wouldn't perform very well compared to
> the i810, but kde is quite responsive with the vesa driver.  Perhaps
> someone will discover the reason for the 'agp0 at pchb0: unknown
> memory configuration, disabling' message during booting sometime.
>
> Ray

Hello Ray,

what I'm going to propose is a dirty hack but it works.

Please find /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/agp_i810.c, edit it (using your favorite
editor) and find such block for 830/855GM/915G/other. Please comment such block
as I did below and compile the kernel (you have to download sources of NetBSD in
order to make it working). I think that your choice is to comment the section
for i915 (but I'm not sure). Well, I hope it will help you to make it working
(on current I don't have any problems with agp). And please note, that this
block comes from 4.0_RC1, so in 3.1 sources it may vary a bit.

/*              default:
                        isc->stolen = 0;
                        aprint_error(
                            ": unknown memory configuration, disabling\n");
                        agp_generic_detach(sc);*/

Goodluck !