Subject: Re: Netbsd-4 oddity, acpi?
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2007 11:37:11
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Sep_27_11:37:10_2007-1

At Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:30:57 +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>=20
> I've seen a system wait for 10 solid minutes at that point before the
> kernel printed anything.  It was a HP DL series, and in the BIOS there
> was a setting about 8042 emulation...  It did the trick.

Unfortunately there's no such setting on either the IBM x336 system or
the ASUS P2B-D i440bx system, both of which I've been having major
problems with ACPI and in particular with the PS/2 keyboard interface.

The IBM x336 works pretty much perfectly under netbsd-4 by default,
including with ACPI; all except for the PS/2 keyboard that is, which I
must have working before this system can finally be put into production.

The ASUS P2B-D works somewhat OK with the NOACPI kernel, but otherwise
seems to have totally botched interrupts, especially for pckbc and
pciide.  Unfortunately ACPI seems to be necessary to get both its CPUs
working properly with an MP kernel though.  There's nothing
fundamentally wrong with its ACPI BIOS though as both FreeBSD-6.2 and
various forms of GNU/Linux work A-OK on it with full ACPI support
enabled.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>