Subject: Re: Netbsd-4 oddity, acpi?
To: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/14/2007 09:30:57
--cLQvRfYaHwHCueo/

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 03:13:49PM -0500, Peter Eisch wrote:
>=20
> I have this i386 system that doesn't even get close to booting under 3.x =
but
> I was surprise to see boot with 4.0b2.  There's an odd behavior thought t=
hat
> I'd like to understand better.
>=20
> >From the time the boot blocks finish loading the kernel until anything g=
ets
> printed on the console nothing seems to be happening.  For around 2 minut=
es
> the system appears to be dead aside from the drive activity light blinking
> sparsely, sporadically.
>=20
> I've seen acpi info get written back to the console on other P4 systems
> during this period but they also go on to continue booting normally.  Once
> the kernel starts to print, it continues normally and the system otherwise
> behaves fine.
>=20
> Is this a known behavior?  (The kernel is GENERIC.MP plus some other
> features like ipsec.)

I've seen a system wait for 10 solid minutes at that point before the
kernel printed anything.  It was a HP DL series, and in the BIOS there
was a setting about 8042 emulation...  It did the trick.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--cLQvRfYaHwHCueo/

--cLQvRfYaHwHCueo/--