Subject: Re: How to change serial baud rate on already installed bootblocks
To: <>
From: Job Hanssen <job.hanssen@xs4all.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/04/2007 08:18:45
Job Hanssen schreef:
>> On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 10:05:14PM +0200, Job Hanssen wrote:
>>> testbak# installboot -e -o speed=115200 /dev/rwd0a
>>> installboot: unknown option -- e
>>>
>>> That indeed seems to confirm the last comment.
>>>
>>> Issueing
>>> installboot -o console=com0,speed=115200 /dev/rwd0a
>>> /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
>>> doesn't raise any complaints, but after rebooting, nothing appears to
>>> have
>>> changed. I still need to set the baud rate of the terminal-emulation to
>>> 38400 to 'unscramble' the console-output.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>> Does the kernel output happen at 38400 bauds too, or is it only the
>> login prompt ? If the last, you just need to change the settings in
>> /etc/ttys
>
> Yes, the kernel output also happens at 38400 bauds.
>
> I know that /etc/ttys says the login prompt should be 38400. When I get
> home tonight I'll see what happens when I change that to 115200 too. If
> that doesn't work either, it might be a hardware- or driver-related issue.

Ok, so I changed the console definition in /etc/ttys from
console "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt100   on secure
console "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200"  vt100   on secure
and then rebooted the system.

As of then, all kernel messages are garbled, but the login-prompt appears normally
(with the terminal emulator running on 115200 baud). When issue a reboot command,
the shutdown-message is printed as garbled text again.

So it's not a hardware limitation (running the login-prompt on 115200 baud does
not present a problem).

Maybe a problem in the driver?

Regards,

Job Hanssen