Subject: Re: Soft error on disk write corrupted drive
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Stuart Brooks <stuartb@cat.co.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/03/2007 10:11:25
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 08:09:41AM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>
>> 	Hello.  We're running these exact same drives, modulo a revision
>> number, on our backup server, and have been for over a year without
>> incident.  We're using them in conjunction with Promise SATA controllers
>> driven by the pdcsata(4) driver.
>>

> What is your disklabel on these drives ?
> There seems to be an alignement condition for this problem to show up.

Just picked up the same problem on a WD 250 gig. The 'atactl identify'
follows. Interesting that it is also an AAJS model - the WD5000AAJS gave
problems where the WD5000AAKS was ok. Is it worth trying the latest 3.1
kernel to see if it resolves it?

Model: WDC WD2500AAJS-98RYA0, Rev: 12.01B01, Serial #:      WD-WCAR00253148
Device type: ATA, fixed
Device supports command queue depth of 15
Device capabilities:
        DMA
        LBA
        ATA standby timer values
        IORDY operation
        IORDY disabling
Device supports following standards:
ATA-1 ATA-2 ATA-3 ATA-4 ATA-5 ATA-6 ATA-7
Command set support:
        NOP command (enabled)
        READ BUFFER command (enabled)
        WRITE BUFFER command (enabled)
        Host Protected Area feature set (enabled)
        look-ahead (enabled)
        write cache (enabled)
        Power Management feature set (enabled)
        Security Mode feature set (disabled)
        SMART feature set (enabled)
        FLUSH CACHE EXT command (enabled)
        FLUSH CACHE command (enabled)
        Device Configuration Overlay feature set (enabled)
        48-bit Address feature set (enabled)
        Automatic Acoustic Management feature set (enabled)
        SET MAX security extension (disabled)
        SET FEATURES required to spin-up after power-up (enabled)
        Power-Up In Standby feature set (disabled)
        DOWNLOAD MICROCODE command (enabled)
        World Wide name
        General Purpose Logging feature set
        SMART self-test