Subject: Re: sysinst & file sets?
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/01/2007 07:19:05
On 9/1/07, Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2007, at 1:04 AM, James Hartley wrote:
> > If I install all thirteen file sets, installation is fine.  If I swap in a disc which
> > does not contain the X file sets, I get into an endless loop upon
> > reboot.  What is the preferred means of installing these file sets
> > without X as I want to install modular X.org from pkgsrc?
>
> Use a 4.0 install CD and your problems will most likely go away.

Digging about, I found the following image:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-4/200708290002Z/i386/installation/cdrom/boot.iso

...& I'm seeing the same behavior -- I swap in a disc which contains
the 4.0_BETA2 file sets, in this case, from the same 200708290002Z
build.

As I understand, there shouldn't be any kernel & userland mismatch
given that the file sets used for the installation of everything is
the same as the installation ISO serves simply as a vector for
transferring & expanding the file sets to disk.

I'll file a PR later today.

Thank you for your comments.

Jim