Subject: Re: Soft error on disk write corrupted drive (LBA28-1 - problem?)
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/31/2007 21:31:06
On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 08:21:03AM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	I thought that problem was unique to Seagate disks.  Or maybe not,
> but in either case, patches were made to the ATA subsystem to work around
> potential failures of the drives to deal with the problem.  NetBSD-3.1
> contains these fixes, so if that's your problem, upgrading your kernel to
> 3.1 should do the trick.

No, because the drive needs to be added to the quirk list.
But in this case it seems to have sighlty different behavior.

Also the fact that it seems to write at the wrong place when using PIO
mode doesn't look good. Maybe we need to disable PIO transfers competely
for SATA (but in this case, we'll have issues with PATA/SATA bridges ...)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>