Subject: Re: dropping into ddb w/ usb keybd
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/22/2007 08:02:39
* Julio M. Merino Vidal:
> Try to rebuild a kernel with no 'pckbc' nor 'pckbd' (only leave 'ukb'
> in).  I don't know exactly which is the correct one (you only have to
> disable a single line, IIRC), but might fix it.

In a worst-case scenario, this will grant OP's wishes, and drop him into
ddb, at which point he can't do a single thing, since the legacy keyboard
emulation has been killed, and ddb doesn't know how to deal with usb
keyboards.

ddb really only knows how to deal with PS/2 keyboards and a serial console.
For a USB keyboard to work, the BIOS needs to perform hardware emulation. This
emulation usually works fine during the initial boot phase and when entering
ddb using 'boot -d', but that's because noone other than the BIOS has been
accessing the USB hardware. Once NetBSD attaches to the host controller
and keyboard, all bets are off. It might work, it probably won't.

OP's only real hope is to use a serial console - but with "real, legacy" RS232
interfaces going the same way as legacy PS/2 interfaces, especially on laptops,
this is going to be causing more and more headaches in the future.

--
Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org